Friday, October 24, 2008

National Kids' Voting Day!!

In honor of the impending day, at school today we are having our election. Now, the upper grades (2-5) are voting with ''real'' ballots for President, etc etc. In Kindergarten however, we were simply asked to talk about the roll of President, who is running, and then hold a vote for anything ourselves. When asking the students who the President was, one student immediately raised his hand and exclaimed with great enthusiasm....

"Barack Obama!!!!"
My heart sank and it took me a moment to get my breath back.... I don't know if I'm ready for November 4th....
I liked the results for our vote. "If Ms. T was to get a puppy would it be named 'Riley', 'Parker', or 'Porter'? It was a close race, but Porter pulled out on top.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wahoo!!!!!

On that note, everyone please watch this, it's quite hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxvHkFLmqRk

Stephanie said...

this set of numbers might also help you understand why your students (and their parents) might be voting for Obama.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/number-that-explains-it-all.html

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I think what the child said was an indication of how much advertising Obama's campaign has paid for.

I looked at the video on YouTube and I think it should probably be the other way around. It's fine if you understand the issues and choose your candidate, but I think most parents have a better grasp on what is at stake.

Well I Do Declare said...

Very interesting... I could say a lot of politically incorrect stuff right now, but I will refrain.

What kind of puppy???