Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I love February!!!

I know some people hate the holidays, the weather normally sucks, but think of all the good points. It's short, so you get your paycheck just a few days sooner. And.... well, it's my birthday!!! I can't really think of all the other good points, but for me they stem from it being my birthday. It's just fun. Even though I'm sure as I get older I won't enjoy getting older, but I still like the idea of having a day I feel like I can be a little selfish and self centered :)

I'm excited as my friends are letting me have a dinner at their house and they've pretty much taken over. It's nice to have stuff put together for you. The simple act of someone else putting the food and hosting something for you, shows you're loved. If I didn't like someone, I certainly wouldn't be putting forth the effort to have a dinner party for someone!!!! I mean...... really??

On another note, I heard news that the fairly new President of my College has resigned. He was not to be asked back next year and it just makes me sad of the different reasons I have heard for this decision by the BOV. He has only been there a few years and I hate when people fail to see the good someone has done, and can only see the bad.. God speed Nichols, and good luck...

I have also hoped that this noble College might one day claim not onlyThomas Jefferson's pedigree, but his political philosophy as well. Itwas Jefferson who argued for a "wall of separation between church andstate" -- putting all religious sects "on an equal footing." Heexpressly rejected the claim that speech should be suppressed because"it might influence others to do evil," insisting instead that "we havenothing to fear from the demoralizing reasonings of some if others areleft free to demonstrate their errors." And he averred powerfully that"worth and genius" should "be sought from every condition" of society.
~President Nichols

As a dear friend of mine said we may all have differences of opinion, but to think and act in an immature way, and not think in a broad spectrum of thought, but narrow minded and self-focused when you're actions affect a large population of people.... ridiculous

Go Tribe... And Hark Upon The Gale... Touché Nichols, touché

and now I will get off of my soapbox...

0 comments: