Monday, November 9, 2009

I have 5 minutes....

To all you teachers out there...

I have been lucky enough to be deemed one of the more flexible, go with the flow (shocking I know), try new things Kindergarten teachers at my school. Just a few weeks ago, I had our Technology assistant come up to me and ask if I would like a SMARTBoard in my classroom. I of course just assumed it was a rhetorical question or perhaps she was taking a poll. We had just bought 1 with school funds that resided in one of our computer labs, but I knew for a fact, not many people used it. When I said, of course, I love using them in my grad classes at night, there are so many interesting and fun things you can do with them, etc etc... she responded with: "Fabulous, could you stay a few minutes after school today and I'll bring it down?".. SAY WHAT!! So for the past 2 weeks, we rearranged, discussed with the class, eased ourselves into it's use, and had a lot of research time for Ms. T at home trying to find fun and interesting, Kindergarten appropriate activities. There is a plethura of materials out there, so I shouldn't really need to ask, but my mantra as a teacher truly is "don't reinvent the wheel".

Do you have any fun activities that could be used, do you have experience using it in your classroom, what has not worked, let me know! I'm so excited and right now we're still working out some kinks of where to have it (life would be SO much easier if I had a ceiling mounted projector), etc etc! THANKS!!

1 comments:

Lara said...

Each classroom at my son's high school has one and it is amazing how much crap our school takes from other parent's whose children attend other schools in our district. They call us rich snobs because we have smartboards. Just LOL when I saw this post and also love the fact that I found your blog. God bless teachers! Enjoy your smartboard.