Monday, November 2, 2009

H20 Overload

This morning while (very lazily and slowly) getting ready for school, I was watching Good Morning America. They had a short segment about a young woman, mother of 3 children I believe, that entered a radio contest. The contest was to see who could drink the most water and last the longest without peeing. The winner would go home with a Wii. The contestants all drank about 2 gallons of water in about a 3 hour period without going to the bathroom. Before the end of the contest, this young woman was already complaining of difficulty breathing, a headache, and being lightheaded. Nurses and others were calling in to the radio show saying you could die from water intoxication. I had never heard of this. I had been threatened as a young child that if I did not pee before a long trip (and my parents were not going to pull over if I didn't atleast try before we left), and I held it for a long time, my bladder could explode. Well, this put a whole new twist to it. Just hours after the contest, this young woman dies at home. Now, I'm not writing this to try and ruffle some feathers or start a debate about whether her family should have won a settlement or not, BUT just to point out another tidbit I've mulled over in the past. They tell us to drink drink drink drink drink water. And yet, you really seriously can drink too much. They say to take vitamins everyday! but you can seriously take too many. I think when it comes to your health and what you should do, you should, just like any other information, take it with a grain of salt (and a margarita if it's handy), and do what feels right for you. May we all find the middle ground, the perfect balance, a healthy lifestyle, and a good glass of wine.

Can you tell this teacher is in need of an adult beverage?? And it's only Monday... oh me..

2 comments:

Barefoot in the Park said...

i think in fact you do need an adult juice box.

Vicki T said...

Is that box wine? I LOVE that.

By the way, I am not a Turning Leaf fan, but we have discovered that the Turning Leaf Pinot Grigio in the box is DELICIOUS and more than palatable.