Sunday, March 16, 2008

A last call of the day...

Something is to be said for living alone. If you get up in the middle of the night and your bathroom is in the hallway, it really doesn't matter what you have on; just go. Along those same lines: if you need a glass of water from the kitchen; just go. If you want to sit down in front of the tv and just flip between channels all night long; who is to stop you? You can play your music as loud as you want, you can have people over and not feel like you're taking over the house, you know if there is a dish in the sink, YOU put it there, YOU clean it up. It's freedom, its personal space, it's me time. On top of it all, I never would have said I was actually friends with my roommate. She is the daughter of a fellow teacher (makes dropping of rent checks very easy). She is maybe 2 years younger (see, I don't even know), still in college, and OCD as hell. I did not realize until about a month ago that this wasn't me ranting and raving about how annoying my roommate can be, but an actual medical condition she takes medication for. Don't you think that should've been something I was made aware of BEFORE moving in? NOT a week after she goes to study abroad for 6 months. YEP, 6 whole months of having a 2 bedroom apartment all to myself for the same price. No wait; that's not right. She was so paranoid that I or someone else would go in her room while she was gone, her parents came and put a new lock on the door and took the keys. So I do reside in a 2 bedroom apartment, but 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom are behind a locked door. HOW ANNOYING IS THAT?! I teach Kindergarten, I work at a toy store on the weekends, my freinds are preppy as hell who work as interior designers, financial planners, pharmacy techs, insurance salesmen, sailors, and other teachers that work with her mother!!!!! How sketchy could I or my friends be? Not like I had just moved in, we'd been living together for 6 months. Obviously, I'm not actually over it. I might even be moved out before she even comes home, so I shouldn't be holding on to anything. Just makes me feel like I'm someone they shouldn't trust, and that's very offensive to me. But I'm over it.. I mean, I'm working on it....

So, the real point of this post. Since I have no roommate I was feeling a little lonely. Like I said, not like we were friends or we ever really hung out, but the smple idea that someone was coming home. That someone else was around, they would help clean, they'd sit there and watch tv with you. At the end of the day at school, I am sometimes so desperate to talk to a NON-school oriented person or 5 year old, that anyone will do. Coming home to noone and nothing; just plain depressing at times. So though my contract clearly states NO PETS, NO DOGS, ONLY FISH ALLOWED, I offered to dog sit for a friend of mine (one of the sailors I know: http://www.lundycharters.com/) while he was sailing in the BVI as captain for some spring break trips. They left at the end of February and actually get back tomorrow. Gunner, the husky-german shepherd mix that has been my roommate these past weeks, is very excited about his dad coming home; but I am very very sad. The feeling of coming home at the end of a long day, opening the door, and having someone right there literally bouncing of the walls and talking to you because he is so excited (to be going outside). Someone to talk to while you're cooking dinner (for yourself). Someone to sit next to while watching tv. Someone to go do stuff with after school. I feel like I'd fallen into a rut: get home from school, drop bags, sit on ass for the rest of the night. Now, I come home, drop bags, grab leash and dog and go out to the park (which is my backyard, be jealous). One day we were out there for 2.5 hours. Granted, there were a few reasons for that: gorgeous weather, and new HOT HOT (married) puppy owner. Then we came in and made spaghetti and garlic bread and sat down to an evening of American Idol, followed by a short walk around the neighborhood, then bed. A lovely evening if I don't say so myself. One of the best thigns about having someone, even if they are a dog, is having someone to say goodnight to. I don't know if this makes me a loser, desperate, pathetic. But after having a dog, even just for this very short while, living alone is great, but I've realized I'm past the point where I want to be young and single and carefree.... I'm ready for something more, someone to be my last call of the day......

isn't he just too cute for words :) no no, THE DOG

4 comments:

Jamie Lovely said...

hahah aww. he is cute!

i just got a new puppy. i love the feeling of coming home and having someone so excited to see you, even if it is a puppy!

magnoliabelle said...

Thank you for your sentiments!!! I've been feeling the same way lately and have been going back and forth about whether to share with my blog friends. I'm so glad that there are others out there who feel the same way I do! Hang in there, girl, we will find our last calls!

Red and White Preppy said...

SO excited to find your blog! You are PRECIOUS! Why don't you have a boyfriend!?!?! Guys are so dumb. Yay for fellow Raleigh girls :)

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

You are beautiful! I just recently made an entry in my blog about having everything...except someone to share it all with. I can relate to this entry so much. I dated a Raleigh boy once...nothing but trouble! You're better off without one!

Looking forward to reading your blog!